Thursday, March 28, 2013

Higher Education

I am going to share my honest opinion on college -- and I'm allowed to have this opinion because I actually went to college, so you can't tell me that I don't understand. I went to college and all I got out of it was a piece of paper and debt. I think college is only worth it if you are going for something that is in demand like a doctor, a teacher, an engineer. I got my bachelor's in Home and Family Living. What's that? Basically it's the major women who were married and still going to school got. Why did I do it? I wasn't married. I did it for the interior design emphasis. I didn't want to transfer schools and have to start all over, and it's the only thing I was interested in. Bad choice with such a crappy economy. Who has money for an interior designer? And if they do have money why would they want a newbie? Don't get me wrong, I met a lot of awesome people while at school and I'm glad some of them are still in my life but really, all I got out of my education was debt. As Rick always says, higher education doesn't mean going to college -- we have the internet! With the internet we have access to so much information and all we need is a connection! There are also loads of books you can read to gain a higher education. No one ever said you have to pay thousands and thousands of dollars to go to college to learn. Plus there are all the general classes you have to take that you'll never actually use. What a waste of time... Having a degree made it harder for me to get a job because I was overqualified for everything and employers assume that you want more money if you have a degree so they'd rather higher some high school student even though I would have been much more reliable.

Here's another thing I don't understand: why do mother's of young children (infants especially) feel the need to go to college? Especially when their long term goal is to be a stay at home mom. What is the point? If you want to be a stay at home mom, then be one! You don't need a degree to do that! Be at home with your kids -- they need you! Mothers are responsible for nurturing and you can't nurture your kids while you're away at school learning something you most likely won't use and you can just learn on your own at home. I understand some moms do need to work and in some cases a college education is needed. But in most of the cases I know where the mom is going to school it isn't necessary.

Alright, rant over :)

2 comments:

FitNotQuitJess said...

Well played...I DO require my doctor to have a degree...but I'd "hire" an interior designer without a degree (sorry Steph)

Lisa said...

well said.